CORC® FEEDER CABLES
Advanced Conductor Technologies is developing CORC® feeder cables and wires that connect superconducting magnets or power cables to their current leads. CORC® magnet feeder cables can operate at relatively high currents, while being at a significantly higher temperature than the magnet or power cable. The high level of flexibility of CORC® feeder cables also allows for complex cable routing when the space between superconducting application and current leads is confined.
CORC® magnet feeders have been incorporated within the 32 T all-superconducting magnet under development at the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory. The CORC® feeders are rated 600 A and allow for movement of the magnet insert of more than 30 mm with respect to the magnet flange.
CORC® – the first HTS cables and wires to demonstrate:
– Current of 7,500 A in liquid nitrogen in a 10 mm diameter cable
– Current exceeding 6,000 A at 4.2 K in a 20 T magnetic field
– Current densities exceeding 450 A/mm2 at 4.2 K in a 20 T magnetic field
– Pulsed current operation of more than 60 kA/s to 5,000 A in a 19 T background field
– Fault Current Limiting capabilities of 70 V/m within 15 ms of a current pulse four times the operating current